Tuesday, June 4, 2024

The rug is finally done


After more than two years, the locker hook rug project is complete! You can read more about the technique in a previous blog post.  After  locker hooking for many more hours, I finally reached the center.

I tore off the duct tape I had placed to keep the canvas edges from scratching me, folded over the canvas and whip stitched the edges.


I finished it just in time to place on my landing after a painting and carpet replacement project. I choose the turquoise accent paint color to match the rug.

This project used a lot of fabric. I lost count of how many old shirts, pants, sheets and socks went into the rug. It included old clothes from my family and thrifted items. I placed a rug pad that I found in my local Buy Nothing group under the rug to keep it from slipping.

Someday, if I decide to make another locker hook rug, I will use a more flexible canvas. I read this suggestion before I started this project and failed to heed the advice because I would have had to purchase the canvas online rather than locally. It would have been easier to pull the loops through a less stiff canvas.

As the project went in, I got better about assessing the thickness of the fabric and varying the width I cut strips. In the beginning, some strips were too thick, difficult to pull through and made my arm muscles sore. Rugs are bulky and as the project progressed I had to come up with ways to keep working on it by propping it up on pillows on the couch so I could get underneath it.

Overall, I am pleased with how it turned out and looks in my landing and relieved I have crossed this project of my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low-waste celebration

I turned 52 a few weeks ago and I threw myself a low-waste birthday picnic at a local park. We have been hosting low-waste gatherings at hom...